November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and the Chiropractors at AICA Marietta would like to offer some valuable information on how to prevent and control type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 and 2 Diabetes
There are two types of diabetes that people suffer from. The first category prevents patients from controlling their blood glucose (sugar) levels naturally.
Type 2 diabetes refers to people who do not use insulin efficiently, which is known as “insulin resistance.” This is the most common form of diabetes and requires patients to self-administer insulin shots each day, while also maintaining a strict diet.
Chiropractic Care for Type 2 Diabetes
While type 2 diabetes is the most pervasive form, it is also the most manageable. Maintaining a particular diet that’s comprised of lean proteins and healthy fats is one of the best ways to prevent and control type 2 diabetes.
In fact, the American Diabetes Association says that type 2 diabetes can be avoided when patients:
- Avoid consuming alcohol
- Exercise several times each week
- Maintain a healthy diet approved by their Chiropractor
- Quit or avoid smoking
Specific recommendations for preventing type 2 diabetes includes:
- Avoid Red Meats – According to the American Diabetes Association, patients can decrease their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 35 percent if they remove all red and processed meat from their diet. This includes bacon, pastrami, hot dogs, and beef.
- Choose Water Instead of Soda – Alcohol, soda, and high-calorie fruit beverages all contain a remarkable amount of sugar and should be avoided in order to prevent type 2 diabetes. Water is the best possible choice you can make when it comes to hydration.
- Processed Carbs Are Not Your Friend – Refined carbohydrates significantly raise the chances of developing type 2 diabetes over time because they cause spikes in your glucose levels. Instead of consuming white bread or white rice, choose whole grain foods such as: brown rice, oatmeal, whole grain barley, whole oats, and wild race.
- Understand What Type of Fats You Consume – Consuming foods like vegetable oils or seeds that contain polyunsaturated fats is perfectly safe and can actually prevent type 2 diabetes from developing. Trans fats found in factory-baked goods, fast-food meals, and margarine should be avoided at all costs.
Let AICA Marietta’s Chiropractors Help You Avoid or Manage Type 2 Diabetes
You are the only person who has control over your diet. When making diet and lifestyle choices, try to make decisions that put your health first.
If you need professional support, the Chiropractors at AICA Marietta are here for you!
Our Chiropractors are experienced and trained in creating customized treatment solutions that support overall health and wellness. We can give you specific advice around what foods to consume and exercises to engage in.
Through the use of regular Chiropractic Adjustments, we can ensure that your internal systems are performing at their best and that your body is able to produce the type of insulin it needs to prevent diabetes from setting in.
You can setup an appointment with our Marietta office by filling out our online submission form or by calling us today at (770) 383-1435.